[Pdns-dev] Weird behaviour / CNAME vs. other data in AXFR

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Wed Nov 7 14:12:43 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 11:07:58AM +0100, Posner, Sebastian wrote:
> When erroneously a CNAME is present for a label as well as "other data"
> like an A-record; pdns answers queries for the label with only the CNAME
> while including _all_ data in an AXFR of the zone, without even logging
> the coexistence as an error.

Hi Sebastian,

It is the PowerDNS position that if you put bad data in the backend, bad
results will come out. I'm sorry that this is the case.

PowerDNS as of 3.2 could, with some work, detect a bad zone *during* AXFR,
and terminate the AXFR. But effectively this is what is happening already.

The problem is that PowerDNS only asks the backend things, it does not know
what is 'in' the backend. And while we can do certain tests to determine of
data is correct, we can't do them all.

And therefore our position remains that bad data in leads to bad data out.
Please don't do it ;-)

	Bert