[Pdns-dev] Weird behaviour / CNAME vs. other data in AXFR

Posner, Sebastian s.posner at telekom.de
Wed Nov 7 15:09:58 CET 2012

bert hubert wrote:

> > When erroneously a CNAME is present for a label as well as
> > "other data" like an A-record; pdns answers queries for the
> > label with only the CNAME while including _all_ data in an
> > AXFR of the zone, without even logging the coexistence as
> > an error.

[...]

> The problem is that PowerDNS only asks the backend things, it
> does not know what is 'in' the backend. And while we can do
> certain tests to determine of data is correct, we can't do them all.

Full ACK, but in this special case, pdns already IS actively
correcting the answer with normal queries; so one should think
this to be the case with *any* methods of accessing data through
pdns; or at least coherently not work around this error anywhere.
Or log it, for logfile-monitoring to find it and trigger human
corrective labour ;-)

> And therefore our position remains that bad data in leads to
> bad data out.
> Please don't do it ;-)

*No one* does do it *intentionally*^^
(OK, me, to reproduce the behaviour, but that doesn't count.
Or at least, I don't cont this in.)

kind regards,

Sebastian
--