[Pdns-dev] Weird behaviour / CNAME vs. other data in AXFR

Posner, Sebastian s.posner at telekom.de
Wed Nov 7 11:07:58 CET 2012

Hello,

We are observing weird behaviour with pdns authoritative.

OS: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
PDNS: pdns-static_3.1-1_amd64.deb from powerdns.com

When erroneously a CNAME is present for a label as well as "other data" like an A-record; pdns answers queries for the label with only the CNAME while including _all_ data in an AXFR of the zone, without even logging the coexistence as an error.
In this case, it was found because bind as a slave then refuses to accept the new zone and sticks with the old content.

I think this is not a problem of one specific backend but of pdns, as this behaviour has been observed with bind as well as gmysql backend; others not tested.

Just filed #613 on this. Did I get anything wrong there or is there indeed need for improvement?

kind regards,

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Posner