[Pdns-dev] [Pdns-users] PowerDNS Authoritative Server 3.2-RC3 released!

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Mon Dec 24 23:48:21 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 10:25:26PM +0100, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> Hello Leen,
>
> On Dec 23, 2012, at 19:49 , Leen Besselink wrote:
>
> > So I was looking over the list of changes, I noticed this patch had not made it into SVN yet
> > (it is marked for 3.2):
> >
> > http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/ticket/551
> >
> > Is there something missing from this patch or is it just not something that should be applied
> > so late into the RC-series ?
> >
> > Please let me know if the method is wrong or if something similair has to be done for other
> > backends so I can complete the patch.
>

> I have not (yet) formed an opinion on the patch itself, as indeed it came in quite
> close to or even during RC, and we try to limit changes in that time (we did not
> quite succeed this time around, but we still tried!).

During, but I did discus the solution for the patch with you on IRC if you remember ? :-)

> I can't say whether other backends need the same change; do note that a

I haven't checked if it might be possible if you have 2 SQL-backends if it will try to pass the id
from the first backend to second.

But I think the pipebackend for example can result in returning a domain_id.

It looks to me like at least the pipebackend could have the same problem.

The big problem is of course if the domain_id is not initialized, then the domain_id could be any
number as I've noticed in my testing.

> frontend change regarding domain_id was committed in r2871. I don't know
> whether this changes the usefulness of your patch at all.

Yes, I know the patch, my testing of the bug and patch was with a SVN checkout which already
included that code.

> One issue is that the luabackend is not currently part of our automated
> regression tests; assistance in this area is welcome.
>
> Finally, backend patches work best for us if they have been cleared
> by the author or maintainer of the backend - in this case, that's
> Frederik Danerklint, I believe. His blessing could help speed the patch
> into SVN (but it will still be after 3.2).

OK, thanks. I'll see if I can get in touch with him.

Can I point out that it was you that changed the bug target version from 3.3 to 3.2 ? ;-)