[Pdns-dev] Pipe backend question

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Nov 11 21:58:07 CET 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 12:11:04PM -0800, Sean Leach wrote:
> I log the request that the backend receives, and it's this:
>
> Q,microsoft.com,IN,ANY,-1,<remoteip>,<localip>
>
> Why is powerdns doing an ANY query for an NS query?  I noticed it
> does the same on an A query as well, i.e.:

This is an internal optimization - this makes sure PowerDNS sees a CNAME
record with only one query.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve from the pipe backend -
do realise that the backends should not implement any DNS logic (ie, follow
CNAMEs etc) but purely supply data.

If you explain your needs we can help you further.

Good luck!