[Pdns-dev] Pipe backend question

Sean Leach sleach at wiggum.com
Fri Nov 11 13:07:04 CET 2005

On Nov 11, 2005, at 12:58 PM, bert hubert wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 12:11:04PM -0800, Sean Leach wrote:
>> I log the request that the backend receives, and it's this:
>>
>> Q,microsoft.com,IN,ANY,-1,<remoteip>,<localip>
>>
>> Why is powerdns doing an ANY query for an NS query?  I noticed it
>> does the same on an A query as well, i.e.:
>
> This is an internal optimization - this makes sure PowerDNS sees a
> CNAME
> record with only one query.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve from the pipe
> backend -
> do realise that the backends should not implement any DNS logic
> (ie, follow
> CNAMEs etc) but purely supply data.
>
> If you explain your needs we can help you further.

My logic is such:

  - For any A query, I want to return the same IP (www.a.com, b.com
etc.)
  - For any SOA record, I want to return the same SOA for all
requests, just the DNAME/QNAME changed
  - For any NS query, I want to return two NS records (the same for
all requests)

So for example if I do:

dig www.microsoft.com a   -> 1.2.3.4
dig www.powerdns.com a -> 1.2.3.4
dig microsoft.com soa -> <same soa for every record, only dname changes>
dig powerdns.com soa -> <same soa for every record, only dname changes>
dig microsoft.com ns ->
	ns1.something.com
	ns2.something.com
dig powerdns.com ns
	ns1.something.com
	ns2.something.com

So - I get the SOA query properly in the backend.  But when an A
record query or an NS record query comes in, I get an qtype of ANY.
That is what I am trying to figure out/work around.

Thanks!