[Pdns-dev] Pipe backend question

Sean Leach sleach at wiggum.com
Fri Nov 11 12:11:04 CET 2005

I have the pipe backend up and running, and I am trying to figure out
why powerdns is doing something.  If I send a NS query to the pdns
process, for example

dig microsoft.com ns @powerdnsip

I log the request that the backend receives, and it's this:

Q,microsoft.com,IN,ANY,-1,<remoteip>,<localip>

Why is powerdns doing an ANY query for an NS query?  I noticed it
does the same on an A query as well, i.e.:

dig microsoft.com a @powerdnsip

  Q,microsoft.com,IN,ANY,-1,<remoteip>,<localip>

SOA queries on the other hand work fine.  What am I missing.  I can't
return a proper NS record and glue record w/o figuring out the proper
protocol for this.  What is the pdns process wanting me to return as
it then sends the request to the recursive server....

Thanks!

Sean