[Pdns-dev] pdns + gmysql + round robin

Mark Bergsma mark at nedworks.org
Mon May 3 14:06:55 CEST 2004

Paul G wrote:
> checklist:
> 1. i have rtfmed
> 2. i have googled
> 3. i glanced at the code (its 5am ;)
>
> running: pdns 2.9.16 (--module=gmysql --dyn-module=pipe) on linux with mysql
> 4.0.18 (for the sake of completeness)
>
> from what i've seen, it does not seem possible to do round robin (ie return
> multiple records) with the g{pg,my}sql backend. if so, is writing my own
> backend (most likely hacking up the existing gsql one) the suggested course
> of action? suggestions/pointers are welcome.

I don't know what you are talking about, round robin works for sure. :)
Just add multiple records with the same qname and qtype.

> the idea is/was to have an external monitoring process that updates the
> records table, adding and removing A records for, say,
> web.cluster1.domain.com based on some logic (currently httping'ing the
> boxes).
>
> is there a public/private implementation of weighted round robin that does
> not have any weighting logic embedded into it? ie, i would like to see
> something that returns one A record based on the value in a 'weight' column,
> where that column is updated periodically by an external process.

You can probably do this by using PostgreSQL or SQLite and views in the
database. We are doing something similar for the Blitzed IRC network. See

http://cvs.blitzed.org/isodns/server.sqldump?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

as an example of such a database.

--
Mark