[Pdns-announce] RPZ support, roadmap changes, New employee, movie, presentations

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Thu Oct 29 15:39:24 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

Here's a bunch of announcements all in one message so we don't bother you
too much.

1) We have a new employee! Please welcome Remi Gacogne, who will be
developing and working on all things PowerDNS starting next week. Since
we've become part of Open-Xchange, we've gained new users and new
technologies (like dnsdist and weakforced
(https://github.com/PowerDNS/weakforced - together with Dovecot), and Remi
will help us with that!

2) The RPZ support we talked about has now been merged in the 4.0
development branch (as described in
http://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2015-October/011711.html ).
To test, find packages on https://repo.powerdns.com/

https://builder.powerdns.com/#/ also has up to the minute builds for your
testing pleasure.

3) My presentation at the Open-Xchange Summit in Berlin is now available as
video: https://vimeo.com/142651548 Please note that I was down with
something during the summit, I usually look a bit healthier ;-)

The other presentations are available on https://www.powerdns.com/oxsummit/
Our video recording of those presentations is also nearly ready.

4) Our 4.0 roadmap has been altered a bit based on customer demand. Release
remains planned for early December.  The recursor will be
released first, with the following additional features compared to our
original announced roadmap:

	RPZ/IXFR support (Spamhaus and others)
	EDNS Subnet support
	dnssec-protect

IXFR slaving will also make it to 4.0 Authoritative.

Furthermore, this is the status of the rest of the 4.0 Recursor roadmap:

Visible new features:
  DNSSEC *aware* recursor
    Note: this is not yet validation, but it will enable you to validate DNSSEC through PowerDNS

This will happen, including verification of correct answers based on DNSSEC signatures
(this is a little bit more than we announced)

  Software repositories for all products and popular distributions - first only for git master
    https://repo.powerdns.com/

Done

  (Packet)cache in recursor in reverse order so we can support wiping subdomains

Almost there.

Infrastructure work:
  port PowerDNS Recursor to “libco” (we rely on some outdated deprecated threading APIs now)

To be done

  EDNS probing outgoing recursor

Mostly there

  Unix domain socket APIs actually become the HTTP API
  rec_control / pdns_control moves to that HTTP API over Unix Domain
  Allow multiple simultaneous outstanding questions (solve the A/AAAA problem)

Will go to 4.1

  DNSName all the things (we treat DNS as human readable ASCII internally)
  DNSResourceRecord out of the flow of Recursor - it is just silly

Done & Done

	Bert