[dnsdist] [Pdns-users] Override NXDOMAIN with A reply

Kevin Olbrich ko at sv01.de
Wed Jul 25 09:49:59 UTC 2018

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 10:41:09AM +0200, Kevin Olbrich wrote:
> > I set up two dnsdist instances against an internal authoritative DNS.
> > To better support our users, I would like to install an intranet site
> which
> > explains why a website ist not available (most likely typo).
>
> Hi Kevin - we have a dedicated dnsdist list, but I think we can spare one
> reply here.

Oops, subscribed both but accidentally took the wrong one.

> > Is it possible to override NXDOMAIN with an A reply?
>
> You could achieve this easily with a wilcard record on your auth server,
> perhaps that is easier?
>
> If that is not possible, you could try something like:
>
> https://dnsdist.org/rules-actions.html?highlight=responseact
> ion#addResponseAction
>
> addResponseAction(RCodeRule(dnsdist.NXDOMAIN), SpoofAction("1.2.3.4",
> "::1"))

[root at clde0011 ~]# /usr/bin/dnsdist -u dnsdist -g dnsdist --check-config
Fatal Lua error: Exception thrown by a callback function called by Lua
Details: addResponseAction() can only be called with response-related
actions, not query-related ones. Are you looking for addAction()?

I have not tried this and it may not work - SpoofAction might in fact only
> work when it receives queries. Can you try and let us know? (on the dnsdist
> list).

Thanks!

I tried to use addAction but it matches everything with "." or nothing if I
use dnsdist.NXDOMAIN.

Kevin