[dnsdist] authoritative and recursive lookup

Edwin Haselhoff eahaselhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 18:54:42 UTC 2018

Hello,

I'm need some help with a dns configuration for our developer department.
First I want to lookup a record in our powerdns authoritative server
(records point to our staging webservers). If no record exits a recursive
lookup must be carried out (it will be just an internet lookup). Recursion
with the Authoritative Server is not possible anymore.

So I installed powerdns (127.0.0.1:5300), powerdns recursor (127.0.0.1:5301)
and dnsdist (10.10.10.1:53). In the config I added the two servers:

setLocal("10.251.104.134:53")
setACL("0.0.0.0/0")
newServer("127.0.0.1:5300")
newServer("127.0.0.1:5301")

Is it possible to failover to the second server or do I need to think about
another approach?

Best regards,

Edwin