[dnsdist] setAuto() healthchecks

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Thu Aug 17 14:19:37 UTC 2017

Hello Thibaud,

On 08/17/2017 11:22 AM, Thib D wrote:
> When you setDown() a server for 10 seconds and then setAuto() , it
> returns the value of the last healthcheck before the setDown() happened,
> no matter what happened during these 10 seconds.
> In our case : our DNS server needs around 10 seconds to be up again. But
> dnsdist returns a "up" value on the first second, even if the server is
> still down.

I think the issue here is that when you issue setAuto() on a backend,
dnsdist will use the previous known state until the next health check.
This looks wrong to me, and I just opened a PR [1] that sets the backend
state to down when a setAuto() is issued. It means the backend will stay
down until the next heath check, as it does when it is first added.

Let me know if it solves your issue or if I didn't understand it correctly.

[1]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/5623