[dnsdist] PowerDNS presentations at UKNOF today, live streamed

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Thu Apr 21 08:06:25 UTC 2016

Hello,

UKNOF34 is being held in Manchester, UK today. On the schedule (which
you can find at
https://indico.uknof.org.uk/conferenceOtherViews.py?view=standard&confId=36
- select your timezone at the top) you will find two talks by our Bert
Hubert: (times in this email are in UTC)

10:45 - 11:15 dnsdist: DNS, latency and DoS-aware load balancing’
"dnsdist is a highly DNS-, DoS- and abuse-aware loadbalancer. Its goal
in life is to route traffic to the best server, delivering top
performance to legitimate users while shunting or blocking abusive
traffic."
This recently released open source product has proven to be widely
useful in protecting DNS infrastructure & providing optimal service in
the face of malicious traffic. It has also turned out to be surprisingly
useful in 'fixing up what is wrong', on one occasion saving a 100k home
gateway rollout from replacement. In this presentation, we'll outline
the why and wherefore of dnsdist, including several common usecases.

15:15 - 15:30 Implementing "safe browsing" cost effectively using open
source DNS’
Some governments have pressured service providers into providing 'safe
browsing'. In other countries, this is being explored as well. DNS has
been chosen by a number of subscribers as a cost effective way of
supplying such 'safe' browsing. In this presentation, we'll outline how
PowerDNS Recursor (open source) hooks can be utilized to implement
selective access to DNS either on a per-user or even on a per-device
basis.

There should be a live stream at http://uknof.bogons.net/uknof34.html
when the conference starts.

If you have questions about any of these subjects, please follow up to
the right list, or to me privately. Thank you!

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk