[Powermail-users] Re: URGENT need help Qmail with Powermail

David Phillips david at acz.org
Tue Nov 18 19:54:05 CET 2003

> Now all my user receive mail via powermail. But they can't send
> autgoing message (local or distant). I dont understand I have more
> than 250 domain on this server.

You need a separate IP address for qmail-smtpd (via tcpserver) to run on.
Name this something like smtp.example.com.  Your customers will use this as
their outgoing mail server.

Next, you need a way to authorize them to relay.  You have a couple of
options here.

The first is SMTP AUTH.  For this to work, you'll need to patch qmail-smtpd
and write a checkpassword program that authenticates against the Powermail
user database.  Luckily for you, I have a checkpassword program that
authenticates via POP3.  You can use this in combination with an SMTP AUTH
patch to authenticate against your Powermail POP3 server:

http://david.acz.org/checkpw-pop3.html

The second is POP-before-SMTP.  For this to work, you'll need to modify
Powermail to update the tcprules file for qmail-smtpd's tcpserver whenever a
user successfully authenticates via POP3.  tcprules has to be run after
modifying the rule file to rebuild the cdb file.  The advantage to this
approach is that it is compatible with more clients and users don't have to
do any extra configuration.  It appears to "just work".

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/