[Pdns-users] Question about behavior when settings invalid IP in domain A record

Jorge Bastos mysql.jorge at decimal.pt
Wed Jul 31 21:22:36 UTC 2024

Hi Brian,

On 2024-07-27 11:13, Brian Candler via Pdns-users wrote:

> On 27/07/2024 10:07, Jan-Piet Mens via Pdns-users wrote: DOMANIN.TLD IN
> A 185.99.65.7777
> interesting IP address.

Indeed.  The OP emphasised that this is literally the invalid IP address
they put in. If the first three octets are correct then the prefix
belongs to a Czech internet exchange.

I think the point was, how is PowerDNS expected to handle malformed IP
addresses? But without knowing the actual domain, we can't tell why they
started to get NXDOMAIN as the OP claimed, and not (for example)
SERVFAIL or NOERROR.

I guess if they've already changed it and the problem has gone away,
there's nothing to be learned now.

yes, the invalid IP was on purpose, to disable the access to the
domain's website.
The point is, should pdns return SERVFAIL for ALL records because i
inserted an invalid IP ADDRR in the domain's A record ?
Shouldn't pdns just return the IP as it was inserted?