[Pdns-users] Logging to /var/log/messages

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Thu Sep 14 06:58:25 UTC 2023

On 13/09/2023 22:48, Ian Goldstein (BLOOMBERG/ 120 PARK) via Pdns-users
wrote:
> While I am successfully logging to /var/log/pdns.log, I am also
> logging to /var/log/messages which I do not want.

That question is entirely about rsyslog and not powerdns, but in short
you'll need something like this:

local1.* {
         # Logging for powerdns
         # facility-specific targets
         action(type="omfile" file="/var/log/pdns.log")
*        stop*
}

You can see some more examples at
https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/configuration/converting_to_new_format.html#converting-action-chains

/("A common construct is to send messages to a remote host based on some
message content and then not further process it")/