[Pdns-users] Recursor forwarder DoT configuration

Otto Moerbeek otto at drijf.net
Sat Sep 9 08:19:10 UTC 2023

On Sat, Sep 09, 2023 at 08:07:02AM +0200, Christoph via Pdns-users wrote:

> > I do wonder about the purpose of the recursor in the
> >
> > recursor -> dnsdist -> upstream-recursive
> >
> > case. You might as well use
> >
> > dnsdist -> upstream-recursive
> >
> > With a caching dnsdist.
> > Unless you need recursor specific functionality, of course.
>
> It was my impression that dnsdist was meant for smaller caches not for large
> caches in the order of several GB of cached records (with prefetching and
> DNSSEC validation functionality)

If you need DNSEC validation you must use recursor, dnsdist cannot do
that.  Others might reflect on the dnsdist cache performance and hit
ratio's compared to recursor's packet cache and/or record cache. Do
note that dnsdist cache is more like the recursor's packet cache. The
recursor's record cache is different in purpose and structure.

	-Otto