[Pdns-users] PowerDNS tcp query rate

Riccardo Brunetti riccardo.brunetti at host.it
Wed Mar 29 16:03:45 UTC 2023

Hello.

We are testing a powerdns authoritative server installation and we are trying to figure out the maximum query rate in TCP mode.

We use the "dnsperf" tool with the following syntax:

> dnsperf -m tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -d barbeuk.elenco  -c 10 -T 200 -l 180   -Q 200000 -S 1

where:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the powerdns server

barbeuk.elenco is a file containing a list random third level domains.

What we are finding is that we can't go above 1000 queries per second and we can't understand why since using UDP we can handle more than 30000 queries per second.

We are probably missing something relevant in the configuration, but we can't understand what.

Which are the most important configurations to be considered concerning the performances in TCP?

We are using powerdns version 4.7.3.

Thanks.

Riccardo