[Pdns-users] Looking to hire for PowerDNS upgrade (contract)

Victor Hugo dos Santos listas.vhs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 11:41:48 UTC 2023

Hello Eric

Just a few commentaries:

CentOS 9 Stream can be used as a server, but it is not recommended for
production environments. CentOS Stream is a rolling release
distribution, which means that new features and bug fixes are released
frequently. This can make it difficult to maintain a stable server
environment with CentOS Stream. Maybe you should consider Rocky Linux,
AlmaLinux or a subscription to RHEL 9 if you want to stay with a RH
based system or debian/ubuntu to host a production system.

Another recommendation is to do the installation in parallel, prepare
all the configuration (ansible and git is very recommended) and make
tests. Once the new system is OK, you only need to change the IPs (or
rules on the firewall) to redirect the traffic to the new server. This
will avoid downtimes and will give you more time to do a good
job/configuration.

And the last one, you (or the person who will make the upgrade for
you) should consider using the RPM packages and yum auto-update. With
this, you can have the system always updated with the last security
fixes.

I believe that is all.

Good luck and let us know how the migration goes.

On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 at 16:06, Eric Jung via Pdns-users
<pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking to hire someone (in a contract role) to do a PowerDNS upgrade. Please reply directly if interested.
>
> The system has these components:
>
> PowerDNS: current version is 4.1.4 ==> update to latest. Note: I am aware that updates from 4.1.4 to 4.7.x must be done incrementally
>
> PowerDNS-Admin: update to newest version (curently running on the same machine as PowerDNS)
>
> CentOS release 7.9.2009 ==> update to CentOS 9 Stream or latest CentOS
>
> MariaDB: current is 10.1.41 ==> update 10.11 which is the current long-term release (valid until 2028)
>
> Finally, there is a ns2 server that also needs updating. It is only a PowerDNS client .
>

> Thank you,
> Eric Jung

Victor Hugo dos Santos
http://www.vhsantos.net