[Pdns-users] Strange behaviour with ALIAS/CNAME records

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Mon Apr 17 12:23:50 UTC 2023

I suggest you specify the version of pdns authoritative you're running,
otherwise this isn't reproducible by anyone.  Also what backend you're
using and how you're adding/removing records, although I'm guessing it's
probably the bind backend.

On 17/04/2023 12:50, Andrea Biancalani via Pdns-users wrote:

> 4) edit the zone example.com and modify contents like this
>
>>     @    IN ALIAS 60 mytest.example.com.
>>     www IN CNANE 60 @.
>

> 5) commit changes, it will popup an error
>
> *RRset www.example.com. IN CNAME: Conflicts with pre-existing RRSET*

(assuming you meant "CNAME" not "CNANE")

The implication is that there is some other record for "www.example.com"

What does the following command show at that point?

dig @x.x.x.x www.example.com. any

(where x.x.x.x is your pdns-auth server's address)

> 6) delete now the www record and commit changes
> 7) create now the same record, as before
>
>>     @    IN ALIAS 60 mytest.example.com.
>>     www IN CNANE 60 @.
>

> 8) commit changes, and /voilà /... *SUCCESS: Applied changes successfully.
> *

Is it possible that you deleted other records for "www.example.com" at
the same time?

Again, what does "dig @x.x.x.x www.example.com. any" show at this point,