[Pdns-users] Adjusting slaves via API

Otto Moerbeek otto at drijf.net
Tue Mar 15 06:58:21 UTC 2022

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 07:46:24PM +1300, Pieter De Wit wrote:

> Hi Otto,
>
> I have a server that is the master for “example.com <http://example.com/>” - we are dynamically allocating slaves on DHCP. I would like the master to send notify messages when the zone is changed to this list of dynamic slaves. The only way I can see of doing this is to “register” the slaves via the API ?
>
> Hope that expands what I am trying to do ?

A slave knows its master(s) using the information set when
creating/modyfying the zone, using the values in the "master" property.

A master determines which IPs to send notifies to using the NS records
in the zone and the IPs they resolve to. Additionally the value(s) of
the meta key ALSO-NOTIFY is used to determine IPs to send notifies to.

So if you add/modify a slave, adjusting the NS records and their IPs on
the master should do it, or alternatively modifying the ALSO-NOTIFY
meta key of the zone.

Don't forget to also allow AXFR to you slaves via the ALLOW-AXFR-FROM
meta value.

Both meta values can also be set globally for all zones using the settings
allow-axfr-ips and also-notify.

	-Otto