[Pdns-users] RFS2136 updates

Gert van Dijk pdns-users at gertvandijk.nl
Sun Jun 26 20:17:39 UTC 2022

Hi Walter,

I believe you may be missing the 'NOTIFY-DNSUPDATE' domain meta setting. [1]
Note that 'dnsupdate' is a different and global setting; whether or not
to enable the support for dynamic updates overall on the instance. [2]

What is the backend that you use for the dynamic zone?
In my case I have a small scale setup using SQLite on a hidden master
and I used these queries (taken from notes years ago) to enable notify
updates to secondary servers (running a possibly different backend).

$ sqlite3 /path/to/my/sqlite3.db
sqlite> update domains set type='MASTER' where name='dyn.zone.tld';
sqlite> insert into domainmetadata(domain_id, kind, content)
values((select id from domains where name='dyn.zone.tld'),
'SOA-EDIT-DNSUPDATE', 'SOA-EDIT-INCREASE');
sqlite> insert into domainmetadata(domain_id, kind, content)
values((select id from domains where name='dyn.zone.tld'),
'NOTIFY-DNSUPDATE','1');

Likely unrelated, but just wanted to note the following. I ran into zone
caching issues on the secondaries side ever since upgrading to 4.5 and
still happening for me on 4.6, complaining about the domain SOA being
out of date. Still have to investigate that further and perhaps file an
issue, but my current workaround for that is setting this on the primary
server:

zone-cache-refresh-interval=0
zone-metadata-cache-ttl=0

... which is fine for a small scale setup like mine. You may not run
into the same issue, though. :-)

HTH

Gert

[1]: https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/dnsupdate.html#notify-dnsupdate