[Pdns-users] Generating PTR Records for IPv4 and IPv6 Addresses on the fly

Ambauen Daniel (ID) daniel.ambauen at id.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 3 13:56:33 UTC 2022

Dear List

There is a possibility to create PTR records dynamically with Lua Records (Reverse DNS functions createReverse and createReverse6).

For IPv4 addresses the Lua records seem to me a suitable possibility.
For example to cover a subnet /16 you need 255 Lua records.

When IPv6 comes into play it gets more difficult.
Just as an example, if I want to cover a /48 prefix I need a huge amount of Lua records.
There must be a better solution to solve this problem.

I ask myself if there is a way to achieve the same goal with the Lua2 backend.

The Lua2 backend generates a response for each PTR request, if the PostgreSQL backend does not provide a response
the Lua2 PTR response is sent instead of the NXDOMAIN message.
With such a solution all Lua records in the arpa domains are unnecessary.

Is something like this possible with the Lua2 backend?

We are using PowerDNS Authoritative Server 4.6.2

Kind regards
Daniel

ETH Zürich
Daniel Ambauen