[Pdns-users] zoneToCache - File Format

Walter Parker walterp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 03:15:48 UTC 2022

Looking at the zone file, it is BIND Zone file. That format is defined in
serval places ( if not in the PowerDNS docs, search for BIND Zone Format) .
To create a black list, you would take all of domains/hosts to deny and add
A records with a value of 127.0.0.2. There is a informal standard for this.

Walter

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 1:14 PM Clint Anderson via Pdns-users <
pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> BackGround:
>
> PowerDNS Recursor v4.6.0
>
> I have the example from the docs (
> https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/lua-config/ztc.html) working perfectly:
>
> zoneToCache(".", "url", "https://www.internic.net/domain/root.zone", {
> refreshPeriod = 0 })
>

> Problem:
>
> I’d like to load a “BlackList” file (or multiple BlackList files) the same
> way, but I have no idea what file format the PDNS zoneToCache function is
> looking for.  In a perfect world, I’d like to be able to take a list of
> domains like this:
>

> Domain1.com
>
> Domain2.com
>
> Domain3.com
>
> *.Domain3.com
>
> Domain4.com
>
> Sub.Domain4.com
>
> Sub2.Domain4.com
>

> And load them via the zoneToCache feature, and have them all point to a
> specific, common IP Address, like 192.168.1.100, but I can’t seem to figure
> out how to accomplish this.
>

> Any thoughts, examples, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you very much for your time & help.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Clint

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis