[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor RPZ issues

Luke Miller lmiller at dynatronsoftware.com
Wed Aug 3 21:19:55 UTC 2022

Ok, that worked. I have PowerDNS Authoritative Server 4.6.3 serving up the zone file that I will use for RPZ and PowerDNS Recursor 4.7.1 doing the zone transfer and loading it.

However, the issue I am running in to is when I update the zone in PowerDNS Authoritative the Recursor doesn’t get the updated zone.

I am using the bind style configuration, in named.conf I have:

zone "dynatronsoftware.com" IN {
    type master;
    file "dynatronsoftware.com";
    also-notify { 10.20.6.28:53; };
};

The zone file dynatronsoftware.com <http://dynatronsoftware.com/> contains:
$ORIGIN dynatronsoftware.com
$TTL 7200
@       SOA     ca-dns1.dynatron.io.    hostmaster.dynatron.io. (
                2022080102 ; serial
                21600      ; refresh after 6 hours
                3600       ; retry after 1 hour
                604800     ; expire after 1 week
                86400 )    ; minimum TTL of 1 day
;
;
                NS      ca-dns1.dynatron.io.
                NS      ca-dns2.dynatron.io.

test.dynatronsoftware.com A 192.168.2.5
dev-forecast.dynatronsoftware.com A 192.168.2.5
luke.dynatronsoftware.com A 192.168.2.5

When I update the zone file I see this in the logs:

Aug  3 15:15:20 tst-dyn-dns1 pdns_server: Zone 'dynatronsoftware.com' (/opt/bind/dynatronsoftware.com) needs reloading
Aug  3 15:15:20 tst-dyn-dns1 pdns_server: Zone 'dynatronsoftware.com' (/opt/bind/dynatronsoftware.com) reloaded
Aug  3 15:15:54 tst-dyn-dns1 pdns_server: Notification for dynatronsoftware.com to 10.20.6.28:53 failed after retries

Does PowerDNS Recursor accept notifies? If not, how do I get the zone to update when I make change?

Thanks,

Luke Miller
Infrastructure Manager
O: 972-913-6388