[Pdns-users] DNS Forwarding on Master/Slave Servers

Steven Garner stevenjgarner at gmail.com
Fri May 7 05:14:17 UTC 2021

I have a noob question about DNS forwarding - just implemented pdns version
4.2.1 on three servers on separate networks, intending for one to be a
master (primary) and the other two to be slaves (secondaries).  So far I
love it, but I think I may be doing something wrong with DNS forwarding.

I have records for some 383 domains in MySQL as a backend.

I have the master set up with:

master=yes

... and the slaves set up with:

slave=yes

... all in /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf

Also the master/slave state is configured on a per domain basis in the
domains table with the type column set to either MASTER or SLAVE
respectively. The slave has the master node IP addresses set for each
domain in the master column in the domains table.

dig would seem to indicate that everything is working fine:

dig soa opensourceserver.io @ns3.opensourceserver.io

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> soa opensourceserver.io @ns3.opensourceserver.io
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;opensourceserver.io. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
opensourceserver.io. 86400 IN SOA ns1.opensourceserver.io.
hostmaster.embode.net. 2021050501 10380 3600 1814400 3796

;; Query time: 168 msec
;; SERVER: 47.225.208.154#53(47.225.208.154)
;; WHEN: Fri May 07 00:01:21 CDT 2021
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 147

Yet other methods seem to indicate there may be problems:

1) When I test opensourceserver.io on
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=dns, it shows a good response
from the master but no response from the slaves, stating that:

At least one name server failed to respond in a timely manner
Failure detail: 207.177.51.156 <br/>Failure detail: 47.225.208.154

The slave servers are i3 class machines running on gigabit optical Internet
connections, so I think there may be other issues?

2) When I test opensourceserver.io on
https://www.site24x7.com/dns-lookup.html, it states there is a "Possible
DNS forwarding issue." for each server.

Steve Garner