[Pdns-users] Second alpha release of dnsdist 1.6.0

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Thu Mar 4 17:53:14 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce the second alpha release of dnsdist 1.6.0.
This release contains mostly fixes for issues reported in the first
release candidate:

- A race condition was found to sometimes occur at startup, making it
  possible for the first TCP connection to happen before the creation
  of TCP workers and lead to a crash.
- Stéphane Bortzmeyer reported many TCP timeouts with the first alpha
  that did not happen with 1.5.x. We unfortunately did not manage to
  reproduce these timeouts, but we spent quite some time expanding the
  coverage of our TCP code, uncovering several bugs in the process.
  Although we unfortunately cannot be sure that the issue experienced by
  Stéphane has been fixed, the resulting code has seen much more
  testing and we have received excellent feedback from other users in
  the meantime, leading to this second alpha candidate.
- The cache cleaning algorithm did not properly remove expired entries
  from all shards, when more than one shard was used and
  "setCacheCleaningPercentage" set below 100%. This led to a drop in the
  cache efficiency in the long run.
- A null pointer dereference has been found when accessing a dynamic
  BPF block (DynBPF) object in client mode.
- A debug line was not properly removed in the web server code, logging
  a new line for every HTTP query.

In addition to these fixes, Sander Hoentjen contributed several
improvements to allow spoofing answers with multiple records, and Aki
Tuomi introduced automatic conversion to string for several objects in
Lua. Many thanks to them!

Please see the dnsdist website [1] for the more complete changelog [2]
and the current documentation.

Please send us all feedback and issues you might have via the mailing
list, or in case of a bug, via GitHub [3].

The tarball (signature) is available from our download server [4] and
packages for CentOS 7 and 8, Debian Buster and Ubuntu Bionic and Focal
are available from our repository [5].

With the future 1.6.0 final release, the 1.3.x releases will be EOL and
the 1.4.x releases will go into critical security fixes only mode.

We would also like to take this opportunity to announce that we will
stop supporting systems using 32-bit time. This includes 32-bit Linux
platforms like arm and i386 before kernel version 5.1.

[1]: https://dnsdist.org
[2]: https://dnsdist.org/changelog.html#change-1.6.0-alpha2
[3]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/new/choose
[4]: