[Pdns-users] Sub-domains and zones

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri Jun 18 07:22:14 UTC 2021

On 18/06/2021 05:16, Daniel Miller via Pdns-users wrote:
> Given a published zone of ".myzone.com" - I want to have a list of
> hosts like:
>
> a.sub.myzone.com
> b.sub.myzone.com
> c.sub.myzone.com
>
> Nothing special. I can implement this by explicitly declaring each
> host in my parent zone - and this works. But I want to manage the
> subdomain separately. So besides creating a zone ".sub.myzone.com" and
> adding the host records - what other "glue" is required?
>
> Do I need to explicitly publish ".sub.myzone.com" with my registrar?
No.

> Do I place NS records for ".sub.myzone.com" in the parent zone?
Yes.  This is the delegation.  The nameservers for sub.myzone.com aren't
necessarily the same as those for myzone.com.

> Do I place NS records for ".sub.myzone.com" in the sub-zone?

Yes.  This is the authoritative source of the NS records.  (I always
thought this was a weird aspect of DNS design, as having two sources of
info makes it likely that they will be inconsistent, but that's how it
is.  Just make sure they match.)

> Do I need to explicitly declare a forward-zone for ".sub.myzone.com"
> in addition to the parent zone?

No.

In any case, there's no such thing as a forward-zone in an authoritative
DNS server; that would be something in a recursor. But the recursor can
just follow the NS records.  You shouldn't even have a forward-zone
entry for myzone.com.

The only exception would be if this is if myzone.com is a private
domain, which is not delegated in the public DNS.  In that case, you
will need a forwarding entry for sub.myzone.com - but only if you're
forwarding to a different set of servers than myzone.com.

HTH,

Brian.