[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Active - Passive Mode

Frank Louwers frank+pdns at tembo.be
Thu Jun 17 09:07:12 UTC 2021

Hi Cem,

Thanks for your design documents. Is there a reason you only want the Mars DC dns infrastructure to be only online when the Venus one fails? Is that because the records are different? Because the easiest setup might be to have both online all the time.

if you do want failover, the next steps would be:

1. Make sure the infrastructure in both datacenters works, is configured correctly, is handling dns queries, is synced and monitored.

2. Once step 1 is done, you'd need some mechanism to determine when to switch over. That could a dnsdist in front of both, detecting the liveness of the datacenters to direct traffic. It could also be done using BGP, e.g. with ExaBGP or bird to announce routes for active datacenters: have a script check if the datacenter is functioning properly, and account a route to the upstream routers (with a certain preference) if so. If both datacenters are working properly, the network will send the traffic to the primary datacenter. If the primary datacenter is offline, the route will be withdrawn, and the second datacenter will receive all the traffic.

I (and others on this mailing list) can certainly help with your design and even implementation, but this would become an implementation & custom design project, not specifically something for this mailinglist which is about PowerDNS features and functionality.

Feel free to contact me off-list (frank at kiwazo.be) if you want to discuss this project in more detail.

Kind Regards,

Frank Louwers
PowerDNS Certified Consultant @ Kiwazo.be