[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor (+PDNS?) and auto-update of local hostname DNS

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Sat Oct 17 20:38:57 UTC 2020

On 17/10/2020 20:54, Nicholas Williams wrote:
> First, the concern. I run MySQL in master/slave replication mode. I have a master MySQL server that I write to, and the PowerDNS servers connect to the slaves, not the master. Is there some way to tell PowerDNS to send updates to the master, or will I have to change one of the servers to connect to the master and explicitly send updates only to that server?

For DDNS updates, you'd need a powerDNS server which talks to the
master.  It can be hidden from the rest of the Internet, and you can use
forward-dnsupdate
<https://docs.powerdns.com/authoritative/dnsupdate.html#dnsupdate-configuration-options>
on the slaves to forward to the master.

There is a howto for the ISC dhcp server here:
https://docs.powerdns.com/authoritative/dnsupdate.html#dns-update-how-to-setup-dyndns-rfc2136-with-dhcpd

It is of course moot if VyOS doesn't support DDNS updates: e.g.
https://forum.vyos.io/t/dhcp-service-and-dns-updates/245 (but the last
post was from 2016)

> Second, my question: Is there anyway to customize the queries that PowerDNS uses to update the records? Specifically, I would like to add a flag to records that were added or updated with Dynamic DNS so that my administrative console can differentiate between those and explicit records.

If the master server is *only* handling DDNS updates, then you should be
able to customise the query appropriately.

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/backends/generic-sql.html#specifying-queries