[Pdns-users] Error after upgrade

Daniel Lo Nigro lists at d.sb
Wed Nov 25 04:07:46 UTC 2020

I think this is happening because I set UTF-8 as the default collation on
my MySQL server, since most apps these days use UTF-8:

character-set-server  = utf8mb4
collation-server      = utf8mb4_general_ci

If PowerDNS relies on the character set being explicitly set to latin1 and
breaks when other character sets (such as UTF-8) are set as the default
collation on the server, it should explicitly set the character set used by
the connection to the MySQL server by executing SET NAMES 'latin1' after
connecting but before executing any 'real' queries. This seems like a bug
in PowerDNS.