[Pdns-users] Recursor and subdomain forward

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri Mar 20 17:37:29 UTC 2020

On 20/03/2020 17:18, Giovanni Vecchi via Pdns-users wrote:
> I think the problem was that following zone forwarding need to be
> configured with "forwarding-zone*+*=" directive, but if I didn't find
> any feedback in the documentation
> (https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#forward-zones): may I
> open a github issue?

I suggest you use forward-zones-file
<https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#forward-zones-file> and
put all your rules in that file.  Or use forward-zones with all your
rules on one line separated by commas.

The += syntax is rather obscure; I only found it mentioned in passing here:

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/guides/recursion.html

Powerdns lets you silently override a setting.  A quick test with

forward-zones=foo.com=127.0.0.1:5300
forward-zones=bar.com=127.0.0.1:5300

and the only log message I get is:

Mar 20 17:30:05 cache1 pdns_recursor[18387]: Redirecting queries for
zone 'bar.com' to: 127.0.0.1:5300

But I believe this is intentional, so that configs in the top-level
config file can be overridden in included config files ("include-dir").
Perhaps it would be helpful to generate a warning if a setting is
overridden by another setting in the same file though.

Regards,

Brian.