[Pdns-users] Syslog configuration, files are almost identical

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Wed Jul 1 15:08:14 UTC 2020

On 01/07/2020 16:03, Pierrick CHOVELON via Pdns-users wrote:
> I'm running a powerdns-recursor server and I configured the syslog
> part to log into the facility 5.
> I used the default configuration with the tree files and put them in
> /var/log/pdns :
> local5.info <http://local5.info>
> -/var/log/pdns/pdns.info <http://pdns.info> local5.warn
>         -/var/log/pdns/pdns.warn local5.err
>  /var/log/pdns/pdns.err
> It works well.
> However I can see that pdns.info <http://pdns.info> and pdns.warn are
> almost identical, both around 7.9Mo.
> A diff shows very few lines in thoses 7.9Mo files, like 20 or
> something like that.
> I think this is not useful to have two files almost identical.
>
> Did I miss something ?

Yes :-)

local5.=info
local5.=warn
local5.err

if you want *only* those levels in those files. Otherwise you get that
level and the levels above too.  In other words, without this, all
"warn" and "err" messages will appear in the "info" file too.

Leave local5.err like it is, so you get higher levels like critical and
emergency too.