[Pdns-users] Slave with bind backend question: Unable to create a unique temporary zonefile

Gert van Dijk gertvdijk+pdns-users at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 17:21:37 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 5:58 PM Alejandro Fernández Preda via
Pdns-users <pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:
> I´m dealing whith a problem with a PDNS Authoritative server acting as slave using bind backend. After a zone update on the master server I get:  "Unable to feed record during incoming AXFR of ' mydomain.edu': Unable to create a unique temporary zonefile '/etc/pdns/bind/ mydomain.edu8qZYbV': Read-only file system" and the zone never updates

I believe this is caused by Systemd unit file hardening. See the unit
file comment [1] that this is
done on purpose. It is included since 4.2.x, so that explains why you
don't see that on earlier
versions.

To overcome this, you may want to choose another (writable) path to
store the transferred zone
files or override the values in your systemd configuration [2]. I'd
recommend to use the first
option and just choose a path in /var/lib somewhere of your choice.

HTH.

[1]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/blob/4b2eb85c0b4184f520858be0e1eb2d95b02ecae5/pdns/pdns.service.in#L22-L24
[2]: https://askubuntu.com/a/659268/88802