[Pdns-users] Subdomains and zones

Giovanni Vecchi g.vecchi at certego.net
Thu Apr 2 13:18:44 UTC 2020

Hi,

thanks Chris for your advice.
We are planning to migrate to PowerDNS (from bind) primarily because of
APIs: my opinion is that using subdomain/zone pairs is a cleaner approach,
isn't it?

Thanks a lot!

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 11:02, Chris via Pdns-users <
pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 30/3/20 4:35 pm, Giovanni Vecchi via Pdns-users wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > are there any best practices about subdomains in terms of zones and
> > record-set configuration?
> > At the moment I can image only 2 viable configuration:
> > - subdomain/zone pairs for each subdomain and record-set for hostname
> in
> > subdomain zone
> > - root zone only and record-sets containing subdomain for each host
>
> I use a mixture of both for large zones. I will commonly split them up
> for administrative purposes (for permissions per zone) as well as to
> limit potential failures from incorrect configuration.
>
> Keep in mind the additional records that need to be in the parent zone
> if you do split a zone up (eg. NS records, DS records) - 'pdnsutil
> check-zone' is quite useful to find these.
>
> Thanks

 <http://www.certego.net/>
Giovanni Vecchi
Infrastructure Lead Engineer, Certego
+39-059-7353333
 <http://www.linkedin.com/company/certego>
<http://twitter.com/Certego_IRT>  <http://github.com/certego>
<http://www.youtube.com/CERTEGOsrl>
<http://plus.google.com/117641917176532015312>
Use of the information within this document constitutes acceptance for
use in an "as is" condition. There are no warranties with regard to
this information; Certego has verified the data as thoroughly as
possible. Any use of this information lies within the user's
responsibility. In no event shall Certego be liable for any
consequences or damages, including direct, indirect, incidental,
consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, arising
out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.