[Pdns-users] How should my backend tell pdns that pdns_server that it has changed the zone

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Tue Sep 24 12:25:23 UTC 2019

Hi Jakob,

On 9/24/19 12:31 AM, jb-wisemo via Pdns-users wrote:
> I am creating a custom master-mode backend for a special use. But some
> questions are left open or vague by the documentation, here is the first
> one:
>
> How shall I tell pdns_server that I have changed my zone and increased
> the zone serial in the database?
>
> Idea is to trigger notify and replication to ordinary slaves as quickly
> as possible, being able to tell code elsewhere that the changes should
> now be available in the global DNS (doing my own TTL calculations).

Increasing the SOA serial will be enough. PowerDNS will check the
serials every slave-cycle-interval[1] seconds and queue NOTIFY messages
to slaves when needed.

If that is not fast enough for you, you could have your provisioning
system send the NOTIFY by itself to the slaves.

Best regards,

Pieter

1 -
https://docs.powerdns.com/authoritative/settings.html#setting-slave-cycle-interval