[Pdns-users] powerdns with a cpanel environment

Andreas Wili cicco0 at outlook.com
Fri Nov 15 15:44:11 UTC 2019

Hi,

we plan to exchange our nameserver setup and instead of the DNS cluster setup of cPanel we want to use an independent setup of PowerDNS. Since we manage a large number of domains and therefore have many changes to zones, we decided to use a master/slave setup with Notify.

Are there people on this mailing list who have already set up such a setup and would share some insights? A local setup with Vagrant without cPanel works as expected.

Specifically, we fail because the slaves do not receive a notification from the master or the master does not send a notification. The domain can be created via cPanel WHM, cPanel executes a "pdns_control reload" but a "notify domain" stays out:

Nov 15 15:42:01 dns-master pdns_server: Reload was requested
Nov 15 15:42:02 dns-master pdns_server: Reload was requested

The following values seem to be ignored for unknown reasons:
launch=bind
bind-check-interval=60
bind-config=/etc/named.conf

According to my understanding /etc/named.conf should be checked every 60 seconds and then inform the slaves about new domains? Or do I misunderstand the principle?

Can someone help me with the problem?

Thank you very much for your answers,
Andreas