[Pdns-users] test driving LMDB backend

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Mon May 6 09:04:00 UTC 2019

Hello Gert and Bart,

On 5/6/19 10:49 AM, Gert van Dijk wrote:
> (just wanted to comment on this, slightly unrelated part)
>
> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 10:02 AM Bart Mortelmans <powerdns at bart.bim.be> wrote:
>> I actually found out because systemd was restarting the service every
>> couple of minutes. Turns out that I should have put "Type=simple" in the
>> .service-file instead of "Type=notify".
>
> Type=notify should really work. It activates a mechanism that systemd
> will talk to the
> daemon over a socket about its state (ready, shutting down, etc.),
> rather than systemd
> assuming that if a process is running that's it's actually ready.

I think this version was compiled without systemd support. This means we
don't use the notify socket and hence systemd will consider the service
not started after TimeoutSec/TimeoutStartSec (90 seconds by default, see
the DefaultTimeoutStartSec in your /etc/systemd/system.conf for the
configured number). Please install systemd-devel and configure will
detect this (or force its use with --enable-systemd).

On systemd machines we prefer to run as a Type=notify service to ensure
the service manager can be sure we started correctly.

See also our specfile[1] on how we build the packages we ship on
repo.powerdns.com.

Cheers,

Pieter

1 -