[Pdns-users] test driving LMDB backend

Gert van Dijk gertvdijk+pdns-users at gmail.com
Mon May 6 08:49:21 UTC 2019

(just wanted to comment on this, slightly unrelated part)

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 10:02 AM Bart Mortelmans <powerdns at bart.bim.be> wrote:
> I actually found out because systemd was restarting the service every
> couple of minutes. Turns out that I should have put "Type=simple" in the
> .service-file instead of "Type=notify".

Type=notify should really work. It activates a mechanism that systemd
will talk to the
daemon over a socket about its state (ready, shutting down, etc.),
rather than systemd
assuming that if a process is running that's it's actually ready.
Support for that has been
in PowerDNS Authoritative since 4.0 with 6988eae [1] it appears to me.
I could only find
this bug report about that it does not work with chroot settings [2].
I'd suggest to report it
as a bug if you did not enable chroot.

More on topic with your tests; please include more details about your
MySQL installation
too. It's rather incomparable if you don't specify all (complex) MySQL
settings. InnoDB?
InnoDB pool size? InnoDB flush log settings? Pool warmed up or not?
Same machine?
Version? etc. etc. All potentially hugely important for the performance.
Other than that, really nice to see LMDB in action. :-)

[1]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/commit/6988eae995cf47d024a974ecf5dda77b4284ee6b
[2]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/4179