[Pdns-users] Impact of DNSSEC with Sub Domain Zones

Asanka Gunasekara asankag at talkup.com.au
Tue Mar 5 05:54:21 UTC 2019

Hi Peter,

Thanks for information. I have done just that :)

Kind Regards,
Asanka

Kind Regards,
Asanka Gunasekara

P: 1300 825 587
E: support at talkup.com.au [http://talkup.com.au/] | W: www.talkup.com.au [http://www.talkup.com.au/]
Postal Address: PO Box 24, Varsity Lakes QLD 4227

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail This email message and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email, or telephone 1300 825 587, and destroy the original message. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.
On 26/02/2019 10:31:10 PM, Peter van Dijk <peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com> wrote:
Hello
On 26 Feb 2019, at 5:43, Asanka Gunasekara wrote:

> I'm sure this is a pretty dumb question but my knowledge on DNSSEC is
> very limited so hope you guys/gals can help me out.
>
> We use PowerDNS as our Authorative DNS and everything is configured
> here. We use PowerDNS-Admin
> [https://github.com/ngoduykhanh/PowerDNS-Admin] as our GUI.
>
> I have our primary domain: domain.com and it is split up into several
> sub-domain zones for ease of management.
> Eg:
> Zone1 - domain.com
> Zone2 - sub1.domain.com
> Zone3 - sub2.domain.com
>
> Q1) If I enable DNSSEC between Zone1 above and domain registrar, would
> zones 2 and 3 stop functioning?

They will keep working, but in insecure mode, as long as there is a
correct delegation (NS records for Zone2 and Zone3) in Zone1.

> Q2) How do I enable DNSSEC on sub zones?

For Zone1, you presumably enabled DNSSEC in your Admin and then sent the
DNSKEY or DS to the parent operator (.com), who then puts a DS in that
parent zone. For Zone2 and Zone3, you are the parent operator, so enable
DNSSEC, and then put the DS records in Zone1.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk

---