[Pdns-users] pdns4 and ALIAS record on remote server

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Thu Jun 20 06:41:51 UTC 2019

On 19/06/2019 23:31, Bill James wrote:
> Putting in another dns server's ip does work for resolving aliases not
> hosted by this dns server.
> But then that would mean we can't use aliases pointing to same server.
You could if your alias names were delegated properly, i.e. NS records
pointing to the authoritative nameservers on port 53.
> I changed it to "resolver=127.0.0.1" and it seems to be working now as
> I expected.  :-)
> (pdns-recursor is port 53, pdns auth is 5300)

Are you sure it's that way round?  It's a bit odd putting authoritative
on 5300 - nobody in the world will be able to communicate with it on
that port, because you can't point an NS record to port 5300.  And on
your recursor, you'd have to explicitly forward every one of your local
domains to port 5300 on the auth.