[Pdns-users] bind backend and dnssec database

frank+pdns at tembo.be frank+pdns at tembo.be
Wed Jul 10 12:04:30 UTC 2019

Philip,

Do you make make changes to your zones? If you don’t need to change the zone contents and your puppet is meant as a way to easily reinstall/add servers, it might make more sense to adapt your puppet manifests to:

- load the zonefile
- use pdnsutil (or the API) to add dnssec signing parameters (maybe with predefined cryptokeys if you deploy this to multiple servers and don’t use zone transfers)

That way, you don’t need to add binary blobs to your puppet repo, which defeats the purpose of “Infrastructure as Code” in my humble opinion.

Just my 2 cents…

Frank Louwers
Certified PowerDNS Consultant @ Kiwazo.be <http://kiwazo.be/>

> On 10 Jul 2019, at 11:53, Philip Vanmontfort <philip at smartbit.be <mailto:philip at smartbit.be>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> We want to put everything in one place (puppet), so that we don't have to make a backup of the database.  And we want a minimum of moving parts, that is why there is no database backend.
> The setup uses native zones, so we don't do zone transfers with masters and slaves.  So i figured, with everything in puppet saves me on replication/backup of the database.
>
> Do i understand correctly that I need to replicate the bind-dnssec-db.sqlite3 from one server (soa server?) to the others? or do i need to build a master-slave setup with zone transfers to enable a correct working of dnsssec?
>

> best greetings,
> Philip

Frank Louwers
PowerDNS Certified Consultant @ Kiwazo.be