[Pdns-users] pdns-recursor: expected log entries on sendto ENOBUFS error + qname minimization

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Sun Jan 20 14:46:39 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 02:35:00PM +0000, nusenu wrote:
> Hi,

Hello "Nusenu".

> I've been pondering with
> "sendto failed: No buffer space available"
> errors using unbound [0].
>
> To see how pdns-recursor behaves on the same box
> I switched from unbound to pdns-recursor
> and don't get any similar log warnings.

"      if(sendmsg(dc->d_socket, &msgh, 0) < 0 && g_logCommonErrors)
        g_log<<Logger::Warning<<"Sending UDP reply to client "<<dc->getRemote()<<" failed with: "<<strerror(errno)<<endl;
"

Is what PowerDNS Recursor would log under similar circumstances. This
requires you to change the log-common-errors setting from the default.

> I've found an old GH issue about adding QNAME minimization
> support to recursor. Is my understanding correct that this
> feature is not a priority and will unlikely be added anytime soon
> (next 6 months)?

We're working on it.  As it stands, qname minimization requires workarounds
to make it viable.  (Re-)standardization is also still going ont.  But it
will happen eventually.

	Bert