[Pdns-users] dealing with 30s TTL on NS/MX records (national-lottery.co.uk.)

jb-wisemo jb-powerdns at wisemo.com
Wed Dec 4 17:33:56 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-03 20:51, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run a recursive DNS for a Mailsystem with 10s of millions of mailboxes.
>
> Customers are sending or receiving mail from/to national-lottery.co.uk.
>
> national-lottery.co.uk. has a ttl of 30s on MX and NS records.
>
> My pdns_recusors query fast enough but ns6/7.camelotinteractive.com seem
> to throttle.
>
> Would set-minimum-ttl help to lets say 7200 help in your experience...
> besides the big warning in the man-page, have you used it and did it
> hurt?
>
> Thank you for your insight.

Besides workarounds on your side, have you tried using your
position as a major operator of some kind to contact the tech
teams at cameloginteractive.com and the National Lottery to
make sure their load balancing/short TTL DNS entries are served
by machines that don't throttle the resulting traffic?

I happen to use a very similar technique for a lot of our traffic
and get problems when downstream systems cache replies way beyond
our TTL.  Of cause the DNS servers for those things are our own
machines not throttling the requested traffic.

Enjoy

Jakob