[Pdns-users] BIND-Zonefiles: @ vs blank

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Aug 8 13:09:36 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 07:01 Bjoern Franke <bjo at schafweide.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have a zonefile which got recently added TXT entries for SPF and DMARC:
>
> _dmarc          IN      TXT     "v=DMARC1; p=none; rua=mailto:foo"
>                 IN      MX      10 mx.domain.tld.
>                 IN      TXT     "v=spf1 include:spf1.domain.tld ?all"
>
> Since then, requests for the MX record were not answered any more,
> adding a @ fixed it.
>
> I'm wondering now why this happens, as in other zonefiles without TXT
> records the blank substitution works.

I've always had the understanding that blank meant "reuse last" so by
adding the _dmarc TXT record ahead of the blank records you inadvertently
moved them to be _dmarc.ZONE

I could certainly be wrong because I haven't looked at the man page for
bind zone files in the last decade.

> Kind regards
> Bjoern

into trouble of all kinds."