[Pdns-users] using both sql + bind backend?

Gert van Dijk gertvdijk+pdns-users at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 16:27:55 UTC 2019

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 6:06 PM Mike <mike+lists at yourtownonline.com> wrote:

>     Is it possible to use both sql and the bind backend at the same
> time?

Yes, you can launch multiple backends. See the launch setting in the docs
[1] for more information.
[1]: https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/settings.html#launch

I have a number of zones which are pretty generic and Im happy
> with sql storage for these. I have another set of zones however in which
> it would be more useful to have a bind compatible config file for. In my
> case, it's for documentation; I want to be able to keep comments with
> records in order that the relationships between certain things are
> spelled out and bind format is a convenient (and logical) place for
> this.

Unfortunately, the BIND backend cannot handle comments, as far as I
understand, as noted in the documentation on top of its page [2]. I've
tried this in the bindbackend.conf file and it only ignored the comment if
it was the very first line. On other lines it would just throw a syntax
error at me. As a workaround in my case, I manage my configuration and zone
files in Ansible, from Jinja2 templates and use Jinja2 comments that don't
end up in file on the PowerDNS server.
[2]: https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/backends/bind.html

If it matters, I really only care about this on my (hidden) master
> server, which is where all of this administration takes place.

Yes, on zone transfers to slaves, the file won't be copied as-is, but an
"interpreted" "autogenerated" version will be sent. That means that if
you're using the BIND backend on slaves, you won't see the very same file
contents in terms of ordering, and when using DNSSEC, the AXFR will emit
the zone signed, adding the RRSIG/DNSKEY records, etc.

> Awesomeness would be able to keep the order of records and comments in
> sql backend but thats a feature request...

The current SQL schema appears to store comments with references to zones
by ID, not by their zone name. Also, SQL backends store information with
relation to each other. It does not sound like a good idea to me to
reference to items not part of the same data source even.
(Also, what do you mean by order of records? I thought in DNS, records
don't really have an order, but just for displaying it to the
user/administrator they may have. But since you're talking about flat file
BIND zone files, this is under your own control.)

HTH