[Pdns-users] Increment SOA programmatically?

MRob mrobti at insiberia.net
Wed Nov 21 05:25:39 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-21 03:49, MRob wrote:

>>> Same as showed above-
>>> ns.example.org contact at example.org 0
>>
>> That looks like the problem - SOA records are supposed to have more
>> info.  Try:
>>
>> ns.example.org  contact at example.org  2018110601 86400 7200 604800 300
>>
>> Instead of a simple 0 - suggest using a datestamp and starting with
>> today's config.  But the other parameters aren't optional (though you
>> should adjust for your needs).
>
> Adding the other SOA fields fixed the problem. Because you told me not
> to use 0 I could only take to understand your advice not relevant for
> autoserial use case.
>
> I may suggest pdnsutil manpage to update for showing increase-serial
> command. I use pdns source repo but it's not in my manpage.
>
> Also to suggest pdnsutil check-zone to give error on SOA without all
> fields. It gaves no error so I could think it was correct but it was
> not.
>
> Still one problem though. After pdnsutil increase-serial the serial
> did increase but in database backend, its still troublesome. Field
> notified_serial changed from 0 to 1 but last_check is yet as always
> NULL. How will pdns retain the current SOA serial if rebooted? I think
> it will reset? Is this bug?

well i see now field "notified_serial" is increment every time SOA get
increment so I guessing this is ok? I feel confusion because user manual
said this for auto-serial:

''The serial in SOA responses is set to what’s provided by
zone-lastchange-query. By default, this is the highest value of the
change_date field in the “records” table).''

But 'change_date' in records table is also staying NULL, why does that
happen? i have no custom queries set.