[Pdns-users] Increment SOA programmatically?

MRob mrobti at insiberia.net
Wed Nov 21 03:49:12 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-06 08:39, Daniel Miller via Pdns-users wrote:

>>> could you paste the content of the SOA record for this zone?
>>
>> Same as showed above-
>> ns.example.org contact at example.org 0
>
> That looks like the problem - SOA records are supposed to have more
> info.  Try:
>
> ns.example.org  contact at example.org  2018110601 86400 7200 604800 300
>
> Instead of a simple 0 - suggest using a datestamp and starting with
> today's config.  But the other parameters aren't optional (though you
> should adjust for your needs).

Adding the other SOA fields fixed the problem. Because you told me not
to use 0 I could only take to understand your advice not relevant for
autoserial use case.

I may suggest pdnsutil manpage to update for showing increase-serial
command. I use pdns source repo but it's not in my manpage.

Also to suggest pdnsutil check-zone to give error on SOA without all
fields. It gaves no error so I could think it was correct but it was
not.

Still one problem though. After pdnsutil increase-serial the serial did
increase but in database backend, its still troublesome. Field
notified_serial changed from 0 to 1 but last_check is yet as always
NULL. How will pdns retain the current SOA serial if rebooted? I think
it will reset? Is this bug?