[Pdns-users] the best way to handle "wildcard-ish" domains in remote backend

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Fri Nov 16 08:55:11 UTC 2018

Hi Randall,

On 11/15/18 10:28 PM, Randall Diffenderfer via Pdns-users wrote:
> we want to be able to calculate a response to a lookup of "indeterminate" content, i.e. the response would be based upon the content.
>
> example query:  TXT foo_1.1.1.1_bar_2.2.2.2_base.domain.com
>
> so "*.base.domain.com" would be handled by our backend.

Assuming you mean in the authoritative server, there are several options.

You can host this domain using the pipe backend[1], this backend allows
you to have a script in any language that produces answers. The remote
backend[2] is similar but talks over a UNIX socket or HTTP connection.

If you like Lua, you can use the Lua backend[3] or Lua2 backend[4].

Finally if you run master, you can use the LUA record[5,6] that just
lives in your database.

Cheers,

Pieter

1 - https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/backends/pipe.html