[Pdns-users] Increment SOA programmatically?

MRob mrobti at insiberia.net
Mon Nov 5 16:34:53 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-05 10:57, Torsten Hantzsche wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2018, MRob wrote:
>

>> I use mysql backend and SOA serial set to 0 in datebase for
>> auto-serial features. But sometime come occasion we must update one
>> record in database directly, not using DNSUPDATE. In this case how to
>> tell pdns please update SOA serial? I cant find pdns_control, pdnsutil
>> command for this.
>>

> Hi,
>
> if you execute pdnsutil w/o any options it lists all available
> commands.
> There you can find:
>
> "increase-serial ZONE    Increases the SOA-serial by 1. Uses SOA-EDIT"

oh Thanks! The manpage is out of date :)
still, it didn't work with auto-serial configuration:

> pdnsutil increase-serial example.org
Error: Parsing record content (try 'pdnsutil check-zone'): missing field
at the end of record content 'ns.example.org contact at example.org 0'

> pdnsutil check-zone example.org
Checked 21 records of 'example.org', 0 errors, 0 warnings.

>> Related, where is serial stored in auto-serial case? I find
>> "change_date" field NULL on all records and "notified_serial" NULL on
>> this domain (but its 0 on the other domains, not sure why). In this
>> situation what happens if server reboot, SOA has to be reclaimed from
>> somewhere??
>

> As far as I know this can be found in the table "records", column
> "content",
> for every entry of the type "SOA". It corresponds to the provided
> serial number
> you get with   "dig <zone> SOA"   (if no DNSSEC is active).

Well for auto-serial you must set that value as 0 so my question being
where the serial is kept in this special case and carried across reboot
situation.